English literature general knowledge quiz questions answer trivia quiz printable is for vibrant learners! You no longer need to browse over tons of content to find the gist of the English literature general knowledge. We have made a tireless job for you by accumulating some very useful, surprising English literature general knowledge quiz questions answers.
English literature general knowledge is evergreen, with plenty of interesting events. These English literature general knowledge questions are precise to all knowledge seekers.
You have to learn more and more in order to grow aptness on English literature general knowledge.
Be the first among others to solve this English literature general knowledge quiz questions answer trivia quiz printable!
English literature general knowledge
1. What is the other name of The Old English Period?
The Anglo-Saxon Period
2. What are the three types of literature?
Drama, epic, and lyric
3. Which era was a fervent period of European cultural, artistic, political, and economic “rebirth” following the Middle Ages?
Renaissance period in English literature
4. What is the name of the pig who emerges as the leader of Animal Farm after the Rebellion?
5. Who is the father of English literature?
6. What is the paragraph of a poem called?
7. What is a play on words, using multiple meanings or similar sounds to make a joke?
8. Who is the most famous English writer?
9. The Post Modern Period of English literature starts in which year?
10. Regarding A Vindication of the Rights of Men, which of the following statements is true?
It refuted Edmund Burke’s defense of the English aristocracy.
11. What is a short lyrical poem, often in praise of something?
12. The Restoration (1660–1700), The Augustan Age (1700–1745), and The Age of Sensibility (1745–1785) are called what?
The Neoclassical Period (1600–1785)
13. “Absolutely Mahvelous” is the autobiography of a person who wrote to great book at the age of only 21. Who is he?
14. “Lines on the Antiquity of Microbes”, also known simply as “Fleas”, is a couplet commonly cited as the shortest poem ever written, composed by whom?
American poet Strickland Gillilan in the early 20th century.
15. Who was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat (courtier), and diplomat?
16. What is an acrostic poem?
The acrostic is a poem in which the first letter of each line spells out a word, message, or the alphabet
17. How many lines the longest poem “reputed to be My Blah Story” have?
18. Who is the author of “The White Company”?
Arthur Conan Doyle
19. What’s a really long poem called?
20. According to John Stuart Mill, individuals ought to be free to pursue _____, so long as they do not cause harm to others.
21. What device refers to the rhythm of a poem or other written work as it’s expressed through the number and length of the feet in each line?
22. Which Violent Film of 1971 was An Adaptation of The Siege Of Trencher’s Farm?
Answer: Straw Dogs
23. How many loyal attack dogs Napoleon, the pig have in Animal Farm?
24. What is a 14 line poem called?
The Spenserian sonnet
25. When was the Anglo-Saxon Period ended?
26. In which book of Agatha Christi did the demise of Poirot take place?
27. How many parts of the play Tamburlaine has written by Christopher Marlowe?
28. What is a 28 line poem called?
29. What are very short poems called?
30. Which of the following nonfiction compositions pioneered a path for English literary criticism?
The Defense of Poesy
31. “Rites of Passage” is a novel written by?
32. What is when a writer compares one thing to another?
33. Beauty is truth, truth beauty; that is all — first poetry line written by whom?
34. What is a poem that doesn’t rhyme called?
35. Which is the first historical drama in English?
Marlowe’s ‘Edward II’
36. Who is the author of “Roots” that inspired a TV blockbuster?
37. Of all the things that drive men to sea, the most common disaster, I’ve come to learn, is women.—— what novel starts with this line?
Middle Passage (1990)
38. Saul Bellow wrote the novel Herzog in which year?
39. To be or not to be: that is the question — first poetry line written by whom?
40. Departure from reason, focus on nature and the supernatural are all features of the literature of what period?
41. Name the Shakespearean character who had spoken the maximum number of lines?
42. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.—— what novel starts with this line?
I Capture the Castle (1948)
43. In the countable sense, what is formally a single metrical line in a poetic composition?
44. ‘Androcles And The Lion’ is an interesting play written by?
George Bernard Shaw
45. Tweedledum and Tweedledee are two characters of which Children’s book?
Alice in Wonderland.
46. Name the novel on ‘Harry Potter’ which has the title with the word ‘Blood’ in it for the first time.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
47. David Foster Wallace wrote the novel The Broom of the System in which year?
48. Famous poem To His Coy Mistress is written by whom?
49. In Flanders fields the poppies blow — first poetry line written by whom?
50. Which author wrote Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park?
51. Who Is My Last Duchess based on?
Duke Alfonso II
52. Justice?—You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law.—— what novel starts with this line?
A Frolic of His Own (1994)
53. “The Old Pond” by Matsuo Bashō is a what type of poetry?
54. Bram Stoker gave birth to a popular literary character in one of his novels in the year 1897. What was the name of that character?
55. What is the oldest document of English literature?
56. The proper study of mankind is man — first poetry line written by whom?
57. What is the meaning of the phrase ‘Mein Kampf’ in Hitler’s autobiography of the same name?
58. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie is written in which year?
59. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. —— what novel starts with this line?
The Go-Between (1953)
60. In Mary Shelley’s novel, what is Frankenstein’s main motivation?
To animate dead tissue
61. Name the book of the Bible that follows Matthew?
62. Who is the author of ‘Kidnapped’?
Answer: Robert Louis Stevenson.
63. Sylvia Plath wrote the novel The Bell Jar in which year?
64. Elements like its line lengths and meters, stanza lengths, rhyme schemes (if any), and systems of repetition are called what?
A poem’s form
65. When was the first English Tragedy Gorbuduc staged?
66. The character of Mustardseed was found in which Shakespearean play?
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
67. Who wrote the novel The Color Purple?
68. Name the book rated by Americans as their second favorite, only next to ‘The Bible’.
Sears Roebuck Catalog
69. What is the easiest type of poem to write?
70. Which William Wordsworth composition offers a pantheistic perspective of nature?
”Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey”
71. What term do novelists use for writing a novel that will be published under the name of someone else who is not the author?
72. A little learning is a dangerous thing — first poetry line written by whom?
73. what is the longest period in English literature?
Old English (Anglo-Saxon) Period (450–1066)
74. ‘What You Can Do To Avoid AIDS’ is a brilliant book written by a basketball player. Name the player.
75. What is the first English Comedy?
Ralph Roister Doister
76. Oxford University’s which library is acclaimed for its exclusive collection of rare manuscripts and books?
The Bodleian Library
77. Vaughan died yesterday in his last car crash. —— what novel starts with this line?
78. Name the British dramatist who wrote, “The Norman Conquests” – a trilogy?
79. What links Rhyme and Rhyme Scheme, Rhythm and Meter, Simile, Imagery, Symbolism, and Stanza?
Basic elements of a poem
80. In Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester reveals himself to be a hero who is mysterious, intelligent, and compelling. What type of hero does this describe?
81. What is the repetition of a sound or letter at the beginning of multiple words in a series?
82. Who is called the father of English Essays?
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
83. Scientists have borrowed the term ‘Quark’ from a book written by a famous author. What is the name of that author?
84. Who wrote the novel The Great Gatsby?
F. Scott Fitzgerald
85. What is the first novel in English?
86. The Series Of Harry Potter Books was written by whom?
Joanne ‘Jo’ Rowling (J.K. Rowling)
87. Who is called the bird of Avon?
88. The towers of Zenith aspired above the morning mist; austere towers of steel and cement and limestone, sturdy as cliffs and delicate as silver rods. — what novel starts with this line?
89. What is a poetic device where the writer addresses a person or thing that isn’t present with an exclamation?
90. Who from the list of individuals is NOT a Romantic-era poet — William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, Ann Radcliffe, and Percy Bysshe Shelley?
91. what are the most influential periods of English literature?
The Renaissance Period (1500-1660)
92. What is the first printing book in English?
Morte d’ Arthur
93. What device refers to poetry written without rhyme, especially if that poetry is written in iambic pentameter?
94. Alfred Jingle is a character from which Charles Dickens’ novel?
95. ‘I cannot rest from travel: I will drink; Life to the lees: all times I have enjoyed; Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those’ – are from which literature?
96. But at my back, I always hear — first poetry line written by whom?
97. When was the first English printing press founded?
98. What is the repetition of specific consonant sounds in close proximity?
99. Who is the author of The Origin Of Species?
100. Which author contributed greatly to the social acceptance of Gothic literature?
More Interesting Trivia and Quizzes
- 75 Home Alone Fresh Trivia Questions and Answers
- 60 Fun Movie Trivia Questions – Fresh MCQ for Fans
- Fifty 90s Disney Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
- 50 Continents and Oceans Quiz Everyone Should Know
- 50 Continents and Oceans Map Quiz Basic Learning
- 50 TV Show Trivia Questions Answers 2000’s
- 50 Evergreen 2000 TV Trivia Questions and Answers
- 50 Movie Trivia Questions and Answers the 2000s
- 50 Game of Thrones Trivia Questions and Answers
- 50 Game of Thrones Trivia Questions for Passionate Fans
- 50 Evergreen Gilmore Girls Trivia Questions MCQs
- 50 Netflix Trivia Questions that Every Fan Answer
- 30 Titanic Movie Quizzes MCQ for Crazy Fans
- Memorable 90s TV Trivia Questions and Answers
- 100 Best Sports Trivia Questions to Know and Share
- 30 Economics Trivia to Solve Before Any Competition
- 25 Economics Quiz MCQ for Brilliant Learners
- 100 Microeconomics Quiz MCQ Every Economist Knows
- 30 Finance Quiz MCQ General Knowledge Trivia
- 50 Personal Finance Quiz Every Educate Tries